Great Grandma’s Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Great Grandma Dora's recipe. This is the first recipe my mother ever taught me how to bake when I was eight years old; it has been one of my favorites ever since. In recent years I have started adding sourdough starter to the recipe an option that can help aid in digestibility in addition to using heritage wheat flour.
Servings: 6 dozen
- 1 C butter (2 sticks)
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1 C white sugar
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 1/2 C Sunrise Flour Mill Organic Flour (Our favorite flour to use is our Whole Wheat Pastry Flour made with White Sonora wheat. You would never know you are eating a whole wheat cookie! You can also use the Turkey Red Heritage Wheat flours as well.)
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 2 t vanilla
- 3 C Sunrise Flour Mill Organic Oat Cereal
- 1 C chocolate chips
- 1/2 C nuts optional
- 1/2 C Sourdough Starter optional
- Preheat oven to 350 0F
- Beat together butter and sugars until light and creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In separate bowl mix together flour, soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients gradually to wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- If baking immediately stir in oatmeal, chocolate chips and nuts (*optional)
- Drop by teaspoonful or small cookie scoop onto greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove to cooling rack.
- If using sourdough discard, mix all ingredients but oats, chocolate chips and nuts. Add starter and refrigerate 7 hours or overnight. When ready to bake, add the omitted ingredients and bake following directions.